Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates Family Law, Bankruptcy, Landlord Tenant Law, Personal Injury
Call Today : 703-836-3400

Child support when one parent is in the military-Part II

When a military service member gets a divorce, typically, the person must go through the civil procedure in family court, much like the person's civilian counterpart. However, the service member's situation may lead to unique problems in processing the divorce procedure or the different legal issues in a divorce, such as child custody and child support.

The Virginia government also has various agencies that can help military personnel with child support issues. Since many military service members are deployed outside of the state, they often benefit from obtaining professional legal counsel in order to ensure that the processing of all legal issues is up to date and in order.

In a case in which the family is already receiving benefits under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, Medicaid or any kind of state or federally funded program, such families may benefit from child support processing, automatically and immediately, in most cases.

However, in the event that the family does not get such assistance or is not under the poverty line, the family can still seek child support from various state-funded agencies. Such child support services can be applied to by both the custodial and the non-custodial parent in Virginia for a nominal application fee, which the state will also absorb eventually.

Obtaining information regarding the various programs for which the family is eligible or completing the necessary legal procedures to process the various forms and documents that the family needs to seek support of the various state and federal agencies can lead to complications for the family. Thus, in most cases, an attorney can help the family to process the child support forms and requests.

Source:, "A handbook for military families: helping you with child support," Sep. 6, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates
124 South Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: 703-836-3400
Fax: 703-836-3549
Alexandria Law Office Map

Toll Free: 703-836-3400 | Fax: 703-836-3549

Back To Top